T-D HS Football

Bishop Carroll blanks Forest Hills


SIDMAN — Not too many teams go into Sidman and post a shutout on the road against the Rangers’ well-balanced offense.
Bishop Carroll’s defense did just that on Friday night, leading the Huskies to a 16-0 impressive road win and handing Forest Hills its first loss of the season. The Huskies’ defense forced four turnovers and scored 10 points off of those turnovers.
“Defensively, pitching a shutout at Forest Hills against a great team and a great quarterback like that, what else can you say about how good our defense played today,” Bishop Carroll head coach Greg Snyder said. “Overall, we played one heck of a football game. We came down here and I can’t be more proud of these kids. The credit goes to them, not us.”
Bishop Carroll took the lead in the first quarter. Quarterback David Maruca found Brody Shuty for a 43 yard pass play on a slant pattern, converting a third and nine. On the eighth play of the drive, Tyler Janosik found the end zone on third down from four yards out. Alex Gruss added the extra point for a 7-0 lead.
The teams traded fumbles in the second quarter, with Forest Hills suffering most by its turnover. Trying to run out the clock to end the half, the Rangers fumbled on its own 19 yard line with 24 seconds left. Mark Dumm converted a 30 yard field goal with four seconds left in the half to take a 10-0 lead.
Forest Hills was held to only 46 yards on 17 plays in the first half, with BC holding a 14:51 to 9:09 advantage in time of possession and gaining 102 more yards on 18 more plays.
“We kept it tight inspite of losing three starters in the first quarter, we lost two offensive lineman and our tailback,” Forest Hills head coach Don Bailey said. “That puts a pretty big damper on anything you do offensively. Our defense was bending, but it wasn’t breaking. The key fumble, we just wanted to run out the clock and we fumbled the ball, we gave them another opportunity for a field goal.”
Forest Hills found its offense in the beginning of the second half, driving all the way to the Huskies’ 1-yard line before getting stopped on two plays inside the 5-yard line. The Rangers had to settle for a 20 yard field goal attempt, which was blocked and returned by Marty Lessard 32 yards to the Huskies’ 46-yard line.
“That was big,” Bailey said about the magnitude of the blocked field goal.  “I thought we should have come out with 7 points, but we were happy to get 3. If you score again you got a tie ballgame. They stopped us. They blocked it (the field goal). That was the turning point of the game.”
In the fourth quarter, Maruca found Shuty on a seam route for 50-yard touchdown pass on a 2nd and 33 that broke the Rangers’ backs with 10:53 left in the game. The drive started after stopping the Rangers short on a fourth down run.
“Coming off a loss last week at home, it’s rough,” Shuty said about the big road win. “Coming into tonight, you feel like more pressure is on you. It makes you want to play better to show everyone that we can win anywhere, home or away. We needed a big game, we needed to prove ourselves.”
Shuty picked off two passes and caught four passes for 102 yards and a touchdown.
“We didn’t execute very well, that was the name of the game,” Bailey said. “Give Bishop Carroll a lot of credit, they played real hard, they made the plays when they had to make them, and we didn’t make the plays when we had to make them. They played good defense, give them credit for playing a good, hard nosed defensive game.”