T-D HS Football

Bobcats edge Northern Cambria

By: Haylie Homway

BLAIRSVILLE — Blairsville came out on top in a tough battle with Northern Cambria on Friday night, defeating the Colts 24-19 to improve to 3-1 on the season.
Northern Cambria had the first possession of the game, starting their drive on their own 47. Northern started off slow but steady and used utilized its rushing game to cap the drive with a 1-yard dive from Dartagnan Suchar for the first score.
The Bobcats failed to come up with a first down on their first possession, and were forced to punt, as the Colts fumbled and the Bobcats quickly recovered at Northern’s 46. Two minutes later, Jaylin Rydbom led the ball into the end zone to help give Blairsville a 7-6 lead.
The Colts held possession of the ball into the second quarter but could not capitalize and were forced to give the ball up on their own 25-yard line.
During the first down of the Bobcats' possession, Deion Robinson came up big with a rush of 27 yards. The Bobcats drive ended on a Stipcak field goal that set a 10-6 halftime score.
 The second half started with a short possession by the Bobcats but the drive ended with them fumbling the ball back to the Colts.
Northern Cambria dominated the next drive. Derek Baker, Nolan Paronish and Suchar helped NC go from the Colts’ own 37-yard line to the Bobcats’ 14. On second-and-7, Suchar rushed left for his second touchdown of the night. The Colts’ two point conversion pass was intercepted in the end zone.
Northern Cambria regained the lead, 12-10, with 5:57 left in the third quarter.
The Colts kicked off to Blairsville’s Cameron Livingston and he ended up making a stunning 70-yard kick return to put the Bobcats at the 15. On first down, Northern Cambria was penalized for a facemasking following a Robinson rush. The penalty pushed Blairsville up to the 7-yard line and Robinson ran for a Bobcats touchdown. Stipcak’s kick i enabled Blairsville to regain the advantage only 44 seconds after Northern Cambria’s touchdown.
The game looked as though it was taking a negative turn for the Colts during their next drive. After a few rushing plays and making it to the Bobcats’ 33, Suchar took a nasty hit and appeared to injure his ankle on the play. Suchar, a huge playmaker with his two touchdowns and nearly 70 rushing yards, hopped off of the field and was kept out for the rest of the game, replaced by sophomore Tyler Pershing.
Blairsville held possession into the final quarter, still leading the game 17-12.
Robinson ran for another touchdown for a 24-12 with 7:08 remaining in the game.
The Colts didn’t quit. Paronish recovered a fumble on a fourth-and-1 play. Then, Pershing passed to Joe Olish for a 68-yard touchdown to make it 24-19 with 4:29 left.